Friends

 Good morning all,


This blog, in general, is an idea started by my friend David and I.  We frequently rib each other about lots of things, and crack each other up.  The default is sarcastic banter, while we do stuff that is mutually beneficial.  We both attend the Barkhamsted mall with some frequency (the dump tag sale) where we find treasures to hoard.  My goal is always to bring more to the dump than I bring back, which I sometimes succeed at . . . but even when I don't, I manage to upgrade my hoard and then am able to give to those who aren't as savvy.  For instance, my tenant in Hartford didn't have a lamp, drill or TV wall mount.  I found all 3 in my garage cleaning and dump runs, so I brought them to him.  Broadly, I call this hoarder communism.  I give to everybody that's got less cool stuff than I have, especially if they have need.  

I believe it will be a fun youtube channel and podcast eventually, but for now I am satisfied with its bloggy beginnings.  

We will also have a running list of things we want/need from the Barkhamsted Mall, so here's mine for now:

a) Dewalt cordless tools, of any variety (I'm buying the pole adapter so I can use my new batteries on the old ones)

b) Skil tools of the 18v vintage

c) Hand carpentry tools, like a draw shave and some rasps and things

d) Lathe (for metal, but I want a wood one too lol)

e) Chainsaws and chainsaw things

f) bucket boss

g) broken fishing rods, or regular rods/reels

h) vises (I want a big one in my garage and a woodworking one in my basement)

i) Solar anything (panels, batteries, charge controllers)

j) battery banks or big deep cycle marines for holding the solar charge

The "hoarder communism" term was coined by a friend of mine to describe my charity, the @gr8fullyfeclub.  However, it seems to be how I view the world.  I don't get rid of stuff unless I can't think of anyone who could use it.  This leads to freecycle use, quite frequently, and my dump upgrades, which helps everybody in my life eventually.  They get the 2nd and 3rd best things I have.

An example of this: In the last couple weeks, my uncle has gotten a new silverware set, 2 new frying pans, a DVD player and a big bag of DVDs from my hunting.  Most of this is from the dump, but some is FB marketplace and Craigslist free.  We've also found him bose headphones.  

Anyhow, I love the ethic of all of this.  Firstly, I waste less by buying less things new.  Secondly, I spend a lot less, which gives me more money to spend at local restaurants and businesses, as well as more in my pocket.  Thirdly, I believe in buying quality products and having them last.  These aren't always in my price range, unless I can find them at the dump.  For instance, I got a french press for camping - somewhere from 30 to 70 online - for $1.  I wouldn't have one if I didn't find it at that price, and this allows me to do nice things for my uncles or my parents, or for me.  I'm most of the way equipped for camping now, but I'm sure my next visit will ensure I'm even more prepped, lol.

Have a great day all, and I hope you find something to be grateful for,

Mark

Comments