Winsted Wild Man

 Good morning,


I've often thought about what it would be like to just disappear into the woods for a while.  This is not a new idea - Thoreau at the very least, but also lots of people fed up with Covid, society, social media, etc. - have opted for homesteading or off the grid living.  I keep watching youtube videos about it, thinking about how I'd do it and how I'd adapt and make things better.  

After reading a few articles about the Winsted Wild Man, I really think I ought to give it a go.  I have a few forests I'd like to try disappearing in, love hammock camping and work mostly online these days.  All I need is a few bars of cell service to do my job, so even the deeply wooded areas around here would probably do.  I don't think I'll go naked like he/she/they purportedly did.  I'm not THAT hairy after all.  But I really think I could live for a while this way.  Maybe I should start with a weekend.


So, I only  need a few things.  I'll start with my packing list and maybe go from there.  Fully minimal first, then maybe a few creature comforts.


a) Benchmade knife

b) Leatherman

c) Hammock/underquilt/bugnet/straps/tarp/stakes

d) Zippo and a butane backup

e) Fiskars hatchet

f) Altoids tin fire starter kit (not yet made) - needs dryer lint, maybe some wax from candles on string, small dry twigs, a few packs of matches, all in a waterproof tackle box.

g) biolite stove/battery/kettle/frenchpress

h) coffee, dry, stored in a yeti mug (orange)

i) water bottles (2) - yeti and a nalgene/cleankanteen

j) goal zero solar panel and small battery

k) fishpond chestpack with a 5wt fly rod

l) slingshot

j) trowel

Here are some pictures I took while being very still on my porch this morning:





Oh!  Here's why I was thinking about this in the first place.  A friend had her daughter ask superheros and mystical creatures how she could get their power(s).  Here is my reply: (after researching the winsted wild man here:

https://www.damnedct.com/the-winsted-wildman/

Dear Chalupabatgirl, my power is in remaining unseen, and in catching fish. You too can have this power if you go to the woods and remain very still, until all of the other animals can't see or hear you. It requires patience and time, but you can develop it over time. With enough practice, you can even become invisible to your parents! Sincerely, WWM/Sasquatch


Comments